Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Steep and curvy

We saw lots of these signs today. Hold on to your seat! It's kinda scary when you're in the passenger seat. Heck, it may have also been scary behind the wheel.

Petit Jean State Park is one of our favorite parks in Arkansas. We went here a couple of years ago and really wanted to go back.

This rock wall was just oozing beauty.

Good thing that I stopped by the ladies room before arriving at this spot.

Avoid this lovely green ivy at all costs.

These are what they call "turtle rocks". I do not know what kind of geological formation they are, but they are really interesting.

Native Americans used to live in this bluff cave. It didn't look like a bad way to live.

About 15 miles down the road is Mt. Nebo State Park. It's on top of a very tall mountain which gives it some wonderful views. Getting up to the top is not for the faint of heart.

We decided to take the rim trail, then swing down to the bench trail then merge back into the rim trail. Only problem, we passed the spot where the trail came together. Soooooo . . .

. . . after falling down and hurting my knee and ankle, I had the pleasure of hiking up these steps. I don't know if you can see just how steep they are, but there were about 300 of the nasty little things.

3 comments:

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Oh the pictures remind me of the Ozarks. My grandparents and then my parents lived on the northern edge of the Ozarks in Missouri. I spent many summers on those windy Ozark roads all the way down into Arkansas and know just how you feel. But the views and clear creeks and lush green forests are worth the white knuckles. I love the rocky bluffs there so much. Hope your knee and ankle are better. Loved seeing the pictures!

Mindy said...

Looks like y'all are having lots of fun! ~Mindy

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

What a pretty place, would love to walk on the trails. McKinney about 40 minutes from Dallas, depending if you drive fast like my husband :) Hope you make it to see my booth there. It's really a very pretty town and you can do so much there that you'd wind up spending the day there and then some.